CoolStance low NSC copra cool and calm horse feed
CoolStance copra is a unique horse feed because it has low Non Structural Carbohydrate (NSC), and yet has a high digestible energy content. CoolStance is packed with ‘cool' energy from coconut oil and fibre from copra meal. CoolStance copra is suitable for most horses and can be fed to maintain insulin sensitivity, ie normal insulin metabolism. CoolStance copra is the main feed in the Stance Equine Feeding System.
CoolStance copra is made from the white part of the coconut, which has been dried, baked and ground. It is a totally natural product and is chemical and GMO free.
The CoolStance Feeding System
CoolStance Copra is Safe, Simple and Easy to use.
Coolstance - supplemented with medium quality hay - will provide your horses with superior nutrition and a well balanced diet*.
To get the best results, the following system is used:
- Remove all grain and grain-based feed from the diet.
- Feed CoolStance copra at the rate recommended below, depending upon work or exercise levels.
- Feed medium quality grass hay or pasture to provide the remainder of the diet.
- Check there are no seed heads in the hay.
- Provide fresh, clean water away from the CoolStance feeder to ensure the horses leave the feed trough. This should be done for all feeds, as it will slow down the rate of eating and assist digestion.
- For most horses, CoolStance and hay will provide the required amounts of minerals and vitamins. *For yearlings and brood mares, a balanced mineral and vitamin supplement may be required.
- Horses were designed to eat little and often and usually graze for 16-18 hours per day. Feeding twice per day may cause "insulin spikes" which can predispose horses to insulin resistance. This can be avoided by feeding less and more often. If feeding more than twice per day is not practical, feed the hay in a hay feeder which limits the horse to eating the hay over several hours.
For example, for a 500kg horse, feed 1kg CoolStance and 3 kg hay both morning and evening. Adjust the amount of CoolStance depending on the level of work.
Benefits of CoolStance copra:
- CoolStance copra has been fed as a quality product to horses for over 20 years
- Provides high-density ‘cool’ energy from oil and digestible fibre (15 MJ DE/kg DM).
- Contains <2% starch and so does not cause hot or fizzy behaviour
- Contains < 11% Non Structural Carbohydrates (NSC)
- Contains coconut oil, which is a saturated oil and is not prone to rancidity
- Rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) which are absorbed directly into the portal blood and provide readily digestible energy. MCT are unlike most other oils (soy, corn, flaxseed) which are polyunsaturated, and are slowly digested
- MCT from coconut oil may have antimicrobial actions
- MCT are thought to maintain a healthy gut
- Provides a balanced supply of protein and energy
- Highly palatable, even for picky eaters
- May improve body, hoof and coat condition.
- Reduces hay requirement
- May avoid metabolic disorders (tying up, laminitis, colic, EMS)
Scientific Article on NSCs
Stance 'Importance of Fibre' Info Sheet
Stance 'Tying Up' Info Sheet
Stance 'Laminitis' Info Sheet
Stance 'Cushing's Disease' Info Sheet
These feeding rates should only be used as a guideline
CoolStance should be introduced gradually into the diet over a period of 10-14 days. It can be fed in a mixed feed with chaff and/or other grains and concentrates, or on its own.
CoolStance can be wet-down to form a mash or it can be fed dry, provided that plenty of drinking water is also available (this enables the horse to regulate its intake of CoolStance and water).
Feeding wet. Coolstance will absorb at least three times its own weight in water. For example place say 1kg CoolStance in a bucket and add 3 litres of water. Since CoolStance contains only low levels of sugar and starch (NSC), you can leave it soak for hours. Many horse owners prepare the evening feed after the morning feed. Store in a cool, dry place out of sunlight.
CoolStance must be fed in conjunction with additional roughage such as hay and/or pasture to ensure the horse obtains sufficient long fibre.
If possible, split the horse’s hard feed between 2 or 4 feeds per day.
FAQs About CoolStance Copra
What is CoolStance®?
CoolStance® is a high quality, cool energy and protein feed. It is made from the white flesh of the coconut that is dried, cooked and processed. It is a natural, GMO free & chemical free feed.
Which horses can you feed CoolStance® to?
CoolStance® can be fed to all types of horses - working, spelling and breeding. It is fed to maintain insulin sensitivity in all horses. Foals can be fed CoolStance® in a creep feed . It can also help keep condition on older horses. CoolStance® contains low levels of NSC (<12%) is suitable for horses at risk of insulin resistance, laminitis and tying up. It is useful in the diet of horses affected by Cushing's disease to reduce the NSC intake.
Why does CoolStance appear brown?
CoolStance® is brown because the white meat has been heated during processing to extract the coconut oil.
Does CoolStance® contain the husk or the shell?
CoolStance® does not contain any husk or shell. It is made from the white meat of the coconut.
How does CoolStance® supply energy?
CoolStance® provides readily digestible sources of energy from:
- Oil - CoolStance® contains 8-10 % oil;
- Digestible fibre; and
- Protein - CoolStance® contains the gluconeogenic amino acids asparagine, glutamine, arginine, alanine, valine and serine, which can be used to produce glucose for energy.
How is CoolStance® different to other oilseed meals?
The oils in other meals such as soybean and canola contain mainly Long Chain Fatty Acids (LCFA), which are polyunsaturated. This means they are digested slowly, and are prone to rancidity during storage.
The fatty acids in CoolStance® are mainly medium chain triglycerides (MCT) and are saturated. This means they are readily digested, absorbed by the horse and are not prone to rancidity during storage.
Is CoolStance® palatable?
CoolStance® has a unique aroma and taste, which most horses like. A small number of horses can find the product unusual and can be slow to take to it. Start with small amounts and build up slowly. Persist, as the results are worth the effort.
Do you feed CoolStance® wet or dry?
CoolStance can be fed dry or as a wet mash. Some horse may prefer the texture of CoolStance® when it is wet.
When CoolStance is soaked in water, it will swell to at least 4 times the volume. If we feed it dry will CoolStance swell up and hurt my horse?
One of the major attributes of CoolStance is that it will swell in water, which helps to rehydrate horses. When CoolStance is fed dry, the horses eat the feed more slowly, and by having the water trough away from the feed trough, they have to walk away from the feeders to have a drink of water.
How should I store CoolStance®?
Store in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.